My family comes to Spain!

May 8th, 2012 secain13

Hello!

I would like to update you on some of the things that I’ve been up to recently here. My family visited me in Spain for 8 days and I had an incredible time with them. First, I met them in Madrid and we spent a few days there exploring the city. I am glad that I had already been to Madrid before because I already had a sense of where all of the sights are and how to navigate the city. My family decided to rent a car for the week, which turned out to be interesting to say the least, but despite some extremely narrow roads, treacherous highways through the mountains, and the busy streets of the city, we managed to make it alright without any major problems.

From Madrid we all went to León. My family had the chance to see the city I call home, meet my host mom, get to know my friends, and experience the Spanish culture here. It was great for them to be here and we had an awesome time together.  It was so nice to have them here. We also decided to take a day trip to a pueblo (village) that was close by. We went to a village called Santiago de Peñalba, a small town amidst the mountains. Little did we know that this would involve narrow windy roads on the side of the mountains without guardrails, and my father driving the rental car. My mother was holding on for dear life and I think it was the longest hour ride of my life. However, the sights were beautiful and we arrived at the village safely. The village consists of quaint buildings, a 10th century roman church, some beautiful mountains. It was a really cool experience because only a handful of families live there year round and there weren’t any other tourists in the town. We had the chance to hike a little bit around the mountains and we even walked to a cave nearby in one of the mountains.

While my family was in Spain, we also spent one day in Gijón, a city on the northern coast of Spain, which is only about an hour and a half from here. It’s a very pretty city with a really nice beach and even though the weather wasn’t too great while we were there, we managed to have a great time there. Overall, I couldn’t have asked for a better week with my family. I am so happy that they were able to come visit me and see where I have been living for the past year.